Our mission is to advance the rights of children through legal advocacy, policy and practice transformation, and restorative justice.
We believe that every child can thrive if they have access to the right supports and services; are connected to the right people, places, and opportunities for their development; and when they are treated equitably.
What we do
Legal Representation: We provide wrap around civil legal representation to kids involved with the juvenile justice system. We make sure they have access to what they need in school and in the community.
Juvenile Justice Reform: We advocate for developmentally and trauma informed policies and practices from arrest through detention. We partner with the community to develop alternatives to arrest, detention, and incarceration. We hold our community and children-serving systems of care accountable.
Restorative Justice: CCR facilitates restorative justice practices to power community-resolved conflict and a community-wide commitment to unconditional belonging for every member of our city.
Our RRYHTS Framework:
- Resilience promoting: We engage in a process that brings out a youth’s strengths and increases access to psychological, social, political, economic, and environmental resources to help that youth succeed, no matter their life circumstances. We also work to build systems that nurture our community youths’ resilience.
- Restorative: Our advocacy focus on nonviolent communication; building empathy with others; and empowering youth to take responsibility for their actions and recognize the impact of their actions on others.
- Youth centered: We elevate youth leadership and expertise; engage them as partners, recognizing that they need to be a part of any decisions made; and empower youth to design and drive solutions in their own lives and in our community.
- Healing centered: We recognize the impact of trauma, including adverse childhood experiences as well as experiences of structural racism, xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia, and support healing for every youth so that they may become active leaders for inclusion and safety in our community.
- Team building: We know that every youth need a team around them. We respond holistically to youth’s legal services through a multidisciplinary team.
- Strengths-based: We focus on the things each youth (and their family) are good at, the potential they have to grow existing strengths, and their capacity to build new ones.